........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Friday 28 June 2024

Temporality And Finitude

 This is what today's life is all about.

In my own strength I can be resigned to everything.
I can find peace and rest through the pain.
I can put up with everything-even the dreadful demons
who horrify me, and the skeletal one who terrifies me,
even when madness silently flaunts its fools costume
and I understand from his silence and the look on his face
that I am the one who should wear his costume.

I can still save offer my soul to be saved
as long as my chief concern is that I love my God,
and this love helps me conquer the urge to vanity
behind my everyday concern for earthly happiness.


Freely adapted from page 49 of the 1843 treatise on anxiety
and Bible study into the story of Abram and Isaac, 'Fear and Trembling'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment