........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Friday 21 June 2024

Popular False Alarms

The limits of democracy
for everyone who strives
to respect, rather than other,
other people is that the limits
of Freedom of Speech
are that we do not shout 'Fire'
in the media when there is no fire.

We do not frighten the folks
in and outside of the lobby,
religious and political lobbyists
that many of them are.

This is why I trust less
in American warnings
about the end of the world, 
even as I see the planet burning.

Born again Christians and others
have been shouting about Jesus
ending the world for millennia 
in the hope of getting people
to prepare for a hereafter
that they cannot describe,
such that it is hard to know
how or when to take them seriously.

But I accept the end of me,
and of my world, with alacrity.   

No comments:

Post a Comment