........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Sunday 23 June 2024

Commemorating The Death Of The Postcard

On my last holiday I saw no postcards,
and I was quietly disappointed by this.
I realised that the production and sale
of postcards was yet another thing
that the smartphone had killed,
with how easily transmits images.

Later on I looked back on an old friendship
built on once a week visits of an hour a time,
prearranged with a brief landline phone call.
 

There the talk was slow and quietly confirming
and when less was said, then it proved
how little needed to be said in friendships.

The coffee, the cake and the ambience said it for us.

One of the low key ways it worked
was for the guest to bring one 'art' postcard
on each visit, for a mini-discussion around it.

Those days of slow living are long gone,
but for how long they went on
they sure were rewarding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment