........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Tuesday 11 July 2023

The Infinity Question vs Forgetfulness

Innumerate people now ask
'What is the biggest number'
not thinking it through to
whatever number they get,
adding one to it will make it one bigger.

In Jesus' day, the disciple Peter
asked the biggest number question the following way, 
'Teacher, how many times must I forgive?'
as if as a disciple he were some sort of flatterer,
or some cloth eared pedant who saw forgiveness,
and being forgiven, in terms of single instances
that could be ranked, and measured out, between people,
unlike the debts and trespasses a person prays
to be cancelled when they say The Lord's Prayer,

Jesus answered Peter figuratively,
'seventy times seven', but if I were asked
my answer to how often I need to forgive
and be forgiven has to be 'One more time
than I have counted and think I should be',
because I know my ability to forget things.  


No comments:

Post a Comment