........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Sunday 22 October 2023

Meanwhile In Germany In 1938... (5)

So I have written curriculum vitae and publications list once again and sent them off. Among the documents I have kept here there is now the new curriculum next to the French version of May '35;it is less emotional by several degrees, I am no longer capable of underlining my Germanness, the whole national ideology has gone to pieces for me.- The scribbling took up an annoying amount of time. The rest of the time today was taken up with a shopping trip. The worst of the snow trouble is over, but driving is still very difficult and exhausting. I wanted to get cigarettes from Weinstein, the old Jewish dealer [...]; he had died four weeks ago, his wife has already moved away from Polierstrasse. The man was killed by heart trouble, my commiseration no doubt consists for the larger part of egotistical fears.'.      

Tuesday 11th January

An excerpt from 'I Shall Bear Witness -The Diaries of Victor Klemperer 1933-1941' first published in German in 1995, translated into English by Martin Chalmers 1998.

No comments:

Post a Comment