........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Sunday 15 October 2023

Meanwhile in Germany in 1937... (3)

 'Who records the most wretched everyday miseries in his memoirs? Until my fortieth year or so I always had neatly cut newspaper in the smallest room . The toilet roll was a luxury enjoyed in hotels. Then I got used to the little rolls at home. I can no longer do without them anymore. But the few pennies they cost add up and are a burden. I used to smoke a pipe. I became accustomed to cigars and then cigarillos. I paid six and eight pfennigs each. The cheapest cigarillos are now the ones at four pfennigs each (and then only in a few shops, usually the minimum price is five pfennigs). I reproach myself for not going back to a pipe; it inflames my gums and tongue, it does not satisfy me; i carry on with four pfennig luxury with a bad conscience. And likewise in everything and with everyone. The ripped suit I wear at home - and people come to me and beg me for an old pair of trousers! But I have a villa and a car. The tragicomic will have a section to itself in my memoirs'   

15th April 1937

An excerpt from 'I Shall Bear Witness -The Diaries of Victor Klemperer 1933-1941' first published in German in 1995, translated into English by Martin Chalmers 1998. 

No comments:

Post a Comment