![]() |
| A classic vintnage Iranian rug as might ber available today if you live in the right country. |
As Iran and the USA both threaten each other, and seek to avoid being the one to start open conflict in their statements, whilst each applies public pressure on the other. I can't help but think that the USA is going to look like the loser. However much both sides pressure their presumed allies to fall in line behind them in new trade arrangements it can only extend the present new world disorder, as it has evolved since the end of the cold war, which ended thirty five years ago with the end of the Soviet Union.
Where any of this goes next is hard to say. But I am convinced that the USA is on a hiding to nothing as it makes its public statememts. Iran was part of an empire so many millenia before American independence it makes the USA seem like it is barely out of nappies and into short trousers by comparison.
Not that I admire the modern human rights record of Muslim Iran, which I see as in a continued stalled revolutionary state, like Communism in the USSR. In both if it was not for export it was not going to going anywhere, not even internally, when the exports stopped.
All I will say is 'watch this space' as two empires with stalled values who are based in differnt continents confront each other at so great a distance with such different language that words from one leader to the other will take far longer to reach their target than any arms they have to lob.

No comments:
Post a Comment