........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Tuesday 12 September 2023

'Body Count' And 'Mileage'

are both terms that I was familiar with
the first one in detective series and thrillers,
whether book or film related, the second
in connection with the speedometers on cars.

Imagine my surprise when I learned
that the young have re-appropriated them
as terms to describe sexual experience.
But then I accept all responsibility
for the prudery I imbibed with Mother's milk. 

Innocence was being proud of not having words
to describe what I was never meant to happen,
long after I had experienced the worst of it,
I learned a lot better what it would have profited me
to understand, much later than it was useful to know.

For the young 'body count' is the number of people
they and others have slept with and 'mileage' is years
of sexual experience, The last time I took a test
for sexually transmitted diseases there were thirty five
of them, when all the strains and variations were included.
Given the young's acceptance of vehicular metaphors
I would guess they would call an STD test an MOT,
and count taking one as normal, and with being cleared,
getting the engine revving again at the first opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment