........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Wednesday 24 May 2023

My Appreciation Of Competitive Sport

is weaker than my appreciation of advertising.

I was always limited by how I saw
professional sport through the lens
of the media, where with my parents
we read the red top press,
because 
like as not the sport reporting
was the most reliable part of the paper.

In recent times I came to believe
that cricket was more about statistics
than competition, and golf
remains 'a good walk spoilt'. 

But even more recently I have noticed
the rise and rise in the status of women
playing football, Such that I expect
that one day Lil-lets will be sponsoring
the biggest international matches.

Any message such sponsorship sent out
with the football would thrash hands down
the message once sent out by Durex,
when they sponsored Formula 1 car racing, 
for durability, reliability, and excellence.

No comments:

Post a Comment