........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Monday 30 December 2013

'Slaughter Your Darlings'

is a term editors use with journalists
and proffessional writers, when they
want the writer to remove those phrases
that believe their readers will find superflous,
that the writer has is attached to,
which is proof of weak writing.
Alas, I don't write enough to have that dilema
and as self editor I would be talking to myself
when I said them.
Writing for nothing is one form of insanity,
talking to myself would raise me
a few notches higher on the madness scale.

The phrase makes sense to me with food
-not every meal I make turns out well
and with the best meals there are always lefovers.
Historically, one point of keeping a dog
was not just as canine hot water bottles,
but lived on the leftovers of the humans
who 'owned' them thus leaving less to the vermin
households were prey to. Now with food
that is less than appetising that still I am
disinclined to waste I wish I could summon up
the grattitude of my inner dog, and slaughter
those darlings, and be grateful for the scraps
my inner human has left for me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment