........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Tuesday, 29 September 2026

I Am Neither Proud Nor Ashamed

of my having 'ghosted' many friends in the past,
losing contact with them, leaving no forwarding address,
only for them to find me many years later on facebook.
At the time I ghosted them, I felt like a ghost, myself.

When I was young any sense of my personal space,
my boundaries, my self, felt like they were borrowed
 - they all belonged to somone else but were mine to use
until it was time to return them and replace them
with a new set of age-appropriate borrrowed belongings.
Values that fitted the dictates of the day-until they didn't.

This sense of weak attachment continued,
until I learned that I had to accept that I was gay.
The package - the marriage, the wife, the children,
the mortgage, the job 'for life', were not going to be
loaned to  me after the sense of the disownship
and the half life I had been lent by my family.

After plunbing the depths of the history
of my being serially disowned by the pasts
that I had forcibly borrowed from, 
and surfacing again, I was a differnt person.
I was left to seek 'my chosen family',
where I knew before we found each other
that any sense of the meaning of 'unconditional'
in 'unconditional acceptance' would be relative.
 

Any exit could be the start of a new beginning
where I could keep my pasts
as long as I left a clean ending behind me.....

No comments:

Post a Comment