........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Friday 19 July 2024

Mixed Messages

I have often looked at media stories
old enough to be 'modern history lessons',
were the reader engaged that way with them. 
Stories that were 'news' when I was young, 
for adults to mark, read, and inwardly forget
in favour of the next story to treat the same way.
Which is why I watched this, with some curiosity.

I sent it to a friend who dismissed  it as 'old news',
as if it was irrelevant even when it was new;
nobody cared circa 1960, nobody cares now,
about the inequalities of life amid new prosperity
when who the money does not reach was well recorded.

But with this story being about new post WW2 wealth
which was meant to breath new life into the community,
support the dependents in households where the male
was the head whose headship went mostly on himself
I paid attention to the footage in a way I never could have
when it was made, but I would like to have done.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment