........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Wednesday 6 December 2023

Misplaced Gratitude

I remain happy to sign online petitions
for causes I believe should go further
though I never know how much my name
added to the list really furthers the cause,
or how much signing might further me.

What gets to me is the follow up email
where the organisers thank me, to invite me
to other actions in support of their cause.

They have no need to thank me.
When they do it reminds me of how
with nearly every interview I have heard
whilst I have been listening to my radio,
the interviewer thanks the guest,
and the guest thanks the interviewer
in a show of courtesy so synthetic
and showbiz-y it makes a mockery
of sincerely meant 'good manners'.

I wish they were mock-rude instead,
it would be more genuinely friendly.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment