........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Thursday 20 May 2021

The Paucity Of Positive Thought

I was born well after the end of WW2,
at a time when the welfare state
was well embedded in my country.

I never understood the talk
when the adults around me
said 'Don't mention the war'.

What I understood of the war
was that part of why it was fought
was to bring the welfare state,
the cradle-to-grave safety net, into being.

But now I think I understand;
no adult wanted to be drawn
into telling about the events
when there was no welfare state,
when, as children, they felt
as if they had no sense of self;
and their parents seemed to be
contrary and distant figures
who didn't help there children
where the help was needed.
Their values of their parents
mirrored the propaganda
that 'self reliant family values'
relied upon for their promotion.

Who in their right mind
would willingly talk of when
they had no sense of direction,
and there was none to be found?

That is why I find nothing positive
about my country's great leap backwards; Brexit.

No comments:

Post a Comment