........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Thursday 25 January 2018

The Good The Bad And Post-Structuralism

I remember growing up with the tabloid press
and not knowing, for not reading anything else,
that their way of telling a news story
-hiding the narrative behind information and grammar
that was so contorted by the interests of the paper
that the reader ceased to care what was written,
but instead came to enjoy how all news stories
became several puzzles, all with missing pieces.

For me 'growing up' meant not reading the red top press
and wanting the meanings of words to both complex and fixed.
But what did I find when I was meant to be an adult?
Only clever, wealthy, and over-educated people
writing about the about broadsheet 21st century press
as if it was 'post-structuralist', and wanting to return
to the fractured narratives of old, but with longer words.....

No comments:

Post a Comment