........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Friday 1 January 2016

A Gentleman Pansy Writes....

When I was old enough to accept
being shut up and made to listen
I was frequently told how much
my good manners were required
to support the local social order.
Whatever others said and did against it.

When I was older and I could answer back
I found that the cards were stacked,
against me. A gentleman was a male
who was readily deferred to. Undeclared
I had become a pansy, a homosexual,
because everyone refused to defer to me.

But a gentleman is not just someone
who is deferred to, but also a person
who takes their complaint to its source
and to become a proper gentlemanly pansy 
I 'came out' to myself, and to all around me.
Particularly my family who were the last people
on earth who wanted me to know I was gay.
They already knew it and didn't support me.

I became much younger for no longer hiding,
and I have stopped myself being pushed around
In the same way I now resist giving other people
cause for gossip, after the years of self doubt.
I am visible, and don't let people blank me out.

They became the shrinking violets, not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment