........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Wednesday 27 March 2024

The Humour Of Queueing

When the British want to humour themselves
about how easily their sense of time gets misused
they say 'I like a good queue, whatever it's for,
the wait makes me feel like I am part of a community.'.

And in one sense that is right thing thing to say,
both communities and queues are made of time,
the hours spent queueing and the numbers of humans
involved are how we explain these things to ourselves.

But the difference between a community and a queue
is that a community has cohesive values beyond the time
spent making said values. And points of view affect changes
in society, where change equates with personal renewal.

Whereas a queue is over for us when we get to the front
and buy what we came to buy/do what we came to do.

In modern corporate Britain there is a clear pride
in not answering the telephone on enquiry lines too soon,
thus making people queue in the comfort of their homes, 
whilst repeating the message to use the web page instead.

My answer to this is to wait for the live human being,
and on the pad I have for recording useful formation,
I count the number of repetitions of the same message
and piece of Mozart and make farm gates, four vertical lines
with a cross bar as I make a mark with every repetition...

It is the patient way of passing the time of day, whilst queueing....      

No comments:

Post a Comment