........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Monday 18 March 2024

Honest Money? No Chance!

Listening to my radio I get the news:
small businesses started in great hope
are going bankrupt across my country
at rates unprecedented since the last crash,
debt default is burning through businesses.
High Street pessimism is hitting new highs.

Later a friend calls me and tells me how much
skilled tradesmen now prefer to work cash-in-hand
such that if they are asked to give a quote for a job
they will hedge and
 prevaricate until the customer 
says the magic words, 'off the books, cash only.'. 

What both of these stories confirm to me
is how debt should be indexed against dishonesty
of aspiration, but then in any such index
who speaks first about debt says it for all, ultimately.         

   

No comments:

Post a Comment