........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Sunday 6 August 2023

In Every Heartache A Dream

Many of my dreams are set in the place of my birth,
in the house I, uncomprehending, grew up in.

And in nearly every dream I find myself
repeatedly sifting the people I lived with,
who said they were my family, for the happiness
they said was theirs to pass on, and mine to keep.

I rarely found it. I did not know at the time
how individual unhappy families could be,
or how unhappiness passes itself off as individuality. 

Every overlay of my night time adventures
set in this imagined past woke me up feeling mildly frit,
fretting at words amiss, without knowing why,
about actions that seemed beyond comprehension.

In the end I kept a dream diary.
On waking up, I wrote my dream down
whilst the memory of my imagined actions was fresh.
Later I reflected, I remembered 
some recent occasion
where I recognize 
the actions in the dream.

But the distant location still drags me back 
to where I can now prove I never belonged.

No comments:

Post a Comment