........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Thursday 30 March 2023

The Reluctant Fundamentalist (3)

 'But I observe that you, sir, have stopped eating. Can it be sir that you are full? Very well, I will not insist; I will, however, order us some desert, a little rice pudding with sliced almonds and cardamom, the perfect sweetening for an evening such as ours, which is taking a turn towards the grimmer side. Such dishes may not normally be to your taste, but I would encourage you to have, at the very least, a tiny bite. After all, one reads of the soldiers in your country are sent to battle with chocolate in their rations, so the prospect of sugaring your tongue before undertaking even the bloodiest of tasks cannot be entirely alien to you.'.

From page 157 of 'The Reluctant Fundamentalist' by Mohsin Hamid, published in 2007. 

No comments:

Post a Comment