........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Tuesday 28 March 2023

From 'The Reluctant Fundamentalist' (2)

'The economy is an animal' Jim [my boss] continued. 'It evolves. First it needed muscle. Now all the blood it could spare was rushing to its brain. That is where I wanted to be. In finance. In the co-ordination business. And the is where you are. You're blood brought from some part of the body that the species does not need anymore. The tailbone. Like me. We come from places that were wasting away.'. I had finished replacing the tyre so I shut the boot and unlocked the doors. 'Most people don't recognise that, kid,' he said buckling himself in beside me and nodding his head in the direction of the building we had just left. 'They try to resist change. Power comes from becoming change.'.

From page 110 of 'The Reluctant Fundamentalist' by Mohsin Hamid, published in 2007.   

No comments:

Post a Comment