........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Thursday 9 February 2023

Telephonophobia

I like landlines, I like the telephone line
that connects everyone through the wires,
and limits how far they can move.
When I get a phone call I like for there
to be no screens near me as we both sit
in different places concentrating on the voice,
the words, and the ideas that we share.

One of my friends has I-don't-know-how-many-ways
of being contacted, a landline, a mobile phone line
in an area of low levels of connection, twitter, instagram,
and a whatsapp app, whatever that is, besides.

I say he is my friend. I very rarely ring him.
Whichever line contact him on, it is the wrong one.
He does not answer and he never collects his messages.

When I really need to talk to him I write him a note.
I get on the local bus and deliver the note through his letterbox.
Then I get the bus home, and wait for my landline to ring.

It is the only route I know that bypasses his telephonophobia....

No comments:

Post a Comment