........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Wednesday 22 September 2021

Better Time Mismanagement

Years ago I had a friend 
who was quite able minded
whilst being physically disabled.
He was adept with walking sticks,
a wheelchair and he even had a car
adapted around what he could not do.

It was curious to be around him,
I'd always been able bodied
but I had long been unemployable
-I had spent too long unemployed
to know how to sell myself to anyone.
I was best left to do my own thing, cheaply.

He spent many a daytime hour in hospital
being checked up and having wounds redressed,
and spending long times just waiting to be seen.
I was more cruel than I meant to be when I said
'Being ill is a part time job', but my words had their effect.

Eventually he found employers to work for
who could adapt what they did around the limits
that he set for them which was more than I could do.

Mentally, he was was much better off working,
than waiting patiently to be a patient in a queue
that always recycled itself as the ill and unattended,
had to reinvent themselves as both new and useless.   

     

No comments:

Post a Comment