........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Saturday 26 June 2021

The Facts About Public Discussions

Every time I hear the leaders
of my country say to the public
'We need to have a debate'
my first thought is 'Who is 'we' here?'

But after that I am always reminded
of that time in every teenagers life  
when parents slyly hint to their offspring
that as youths they need to discuss 'The facts of life',
as if as parents they were the sole moderators
of their children's thoughts before that discussion
when every child knows that that is not the case.

Politicians may moderate the media they inhabit
but any voter based democracy with a free press
underpinned by ideas about freedom of speech
cannot rely solely on top-down moderation 
if it is to be healthy and offer a life beyond itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment