........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Thursday 31 May 2018

Selling Sound Through Colour

When I first listened to music
it was always from recordings.
Nobody ever sang live
for an attentive audience.

I heard what was played
on simple technology-
the radio or the record player,
within the limits of my attention span.

The images the music left me with
were not like films that ran in my head,
At the most there were cliched stills of the stars,
supplied by a red top press more interested in themselves
than what they reported on.

Any images I had were purely from the audio
What I 'saw' came from what I heard and nowhere else,
particularly with songs played and replayed in private.

Now no musician writes so much as a note,
much less records it, and writes a song to fit around it,
without first fixing in their head the video image
that is going to sell the sound  to as many as it will reach
around the world via television and cinema.

It is as if they enjoyed creating mass artificial synesthesia.


No comments:

Post a Comment