........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Monday 7 May 2018

My List Of Unread Books

includes......

'Deuteronomy for Dummies' - the easy guide to most convoluted and hard-to-understand book in The Old Testament. Only 'The Book of Numbers' comes close to any similar level complexity, and the numbers in it are notably benign compared with the destruction they bear witness to.

'The Art of the Graceful Refusal'  - where a kind word of refusal does not stop somebody asking again. What it does achieve is putting a longer time between requests, and a calmness into both the request and the refusal.

The follow up was called 'The Old Declension' which is a more detailed delineation of how older refusals have maintained their charm right into the present day.

'Great Dogs I have Met' - Not quite like this, which I liked a lot, but close.

'Logorrhea and Misanthropy'  - Where the celebrated author Will Self writes at great length with as many long words as humanly possible about never wanting to write for the public again.

'Bathing in Bathos' -  Such an anti-climax of a book that I can hardly begin to describe even the introduction of it to readers other than myself, for fear of narcolepsy.

These titles will be hard to find. The following are more accessible, but equally hard to read....

'The Collected Works of Kierkegaard', - Soren Kierkegaard has been one of my heroes since I read his diaries in full - once, half a lifetime ago. But I fell at the first hurdle with many of his other voluminous writings which were written after he fueled himself with very strong coffee in the mornings.

'In Search of Lost Time' - Marcel Proust. Sometimes the time we lose we never get back. Reading this would take all too much time away from me given the list of other unread books on this list and I want a room like the one he wrote them in, in which to read them.

'Darkness at Noon' by Arthur Koestler, which I am given to believe is a cold war thriller about shady governments manipulating the daytime weather.

Last but far from least on this book list is 'Suicide for Non-Beginners' by that famously advanced author Anthony Weir.....

No comments:

Post a Comment