........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Saturday 1 March 2014

My Mantra

'Thank you' and 'Please' were the first words I was taught.
As I learned them, I learnt then, and have found since,
that my family/my teachers valued these words more than I could know.
How much my outward appreciation covered the multitude of their fears
of sin and pride, which of necessity needed disguise went beyond recognition.
My Pleases' and 'Thank you's sealed my deference towards them,
which allowed them to see me as simple, and easily satisfied.
In an ingrate world such kowtowing was worth its weight in gold,
though since then it has been devalued.
Perhaps they needed cupboard love in aural form,
not that it helped me mature. But what to do
when giving to keep control was all they knew?
Now I use the verbal formalities
to give without expecting to receive, in order to teach others similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment