........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Wednesday 26 March 2014

Knock Knock

When I was young I saw by the front doors of big houses
a sign that read 'no tinkers salesmen or barkers, thank you'.
I was too young to understand who the unwelcome
were, or what they had done, beyond my fear I could be one.
I could not spell 'itinerant' but I knew that people became
what they could not spell then others wrote them off.

Now with my webmail I receive petitions for many causes,
from one-step-at-a-time utopians of different hues and political views
who say they need my support for their next step to help the needy.
I am amazed that these transient utopians are so easy to please
with merely a few words. How solid is the world they are making?

Every on-line petition I sign makes me wish
I had next to my front door a sign-
'homeless welcome here', and that tramps
still had rural networks where they were met with civility
daily, and I had a supply of every day cheer that was theirs to find.
 .  

No comments:

Post a Comment