........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Wednesday 23 October 2013

Transports Of Delight

I don't drive, I never learnt. I am one of the few who never will.
My last instructor (whom I met through hitching a lift)
after testing my driving skills kindly said
'Hitching lifts is was what you are best at'.
I now have nearly fory years experience to prove this.
If I am waiting for along time for a car to stop
for me it is the exception that proves the rule.
Because my face fits my means of travel
it also fits my being asked by the homeless*
to give of my surplus. The little old ladies of foreign
extraction who sit on camp chairs by the entrances
of the larger shops of my nearest town, who sell
'The Big Issue', whilst demurely wearing head scarves.
Usually I give, after all what has got me to these ladies
but a driver offering me a surplus seat in their vehicle?




*I am sure that many of them have a roof over their head
at night, enough food,  and enough blankets to keep warm
in their beds, but have long known privation, and nonetheless
live in the poorest quality local lodgings permitted by housing law.

No comments:

Post a Comment