........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Saturday 19 February 2022

The Laughter Of Recognition

Once every decade in my country
a writer writes a new comedy
that skewers afresh the vices 
that my country likes to hide
how much it is at ease with.

The vices don't change,
lust, envy, pride, and sloth
gluttony, greed and wrath.
But as the presentation of life
changes, through technology
if through nothing else, then vice
has to reformulate itself
to reaffirm it's place in our lives.

The comedy writers job
is to make such reformulation seem funny,
so as we laugh as we recognise 'This is us, our life.'.

But even given the historicity
of how we cannot/do not change
I still feel embarrassed at my vices
being put up as an entertainment,
stylised for the screen, for all to enjoy.

I'd still rather imagine that my sins,
and my country's vanities,
were somebody else's. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment