........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Tuesday 5 March 2019

Moonwatch

I too have taken delight
in my photographs of the moon,
as it appeared to interact
around man-made structures,
until I realised all too soon;
I had taken too many pictures.

It took a while longer to reason
why too much was too much.
But eventually it became clear to me.

We know much less about the stars
because we see them much less clearly
than previously; the lights of the city
pollute our viewing of the night sky.

With our ignorance of the stars
the moon seems brighter in the night sky,
and we settle for that instead of cursing
the excess of street light that destroy our view.

When the light that pollutes our view
reflects off the moon, we blindly accept
not seeing the stars, and don't miss them.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment