........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Sunday 17 February 2019

A Reflection After Holocaust Memorial Week

Everything fears it's own extinction,
particularly those who deny those fears
whilst recognising them in others.

As I stood with the other thirty of us at the plinth
where the pink triangle was laid, to commemorate
the painful partings of those long past of my tribe,
my thoughts went out to those destroyed by the laws
that made fighting in World War 2 seem more moral.

I thought of the wearers of the other colours
of the total of eight stars. The pink I knew about
but what of the yellow (the Jews), the Roma (brown)
the Jehovah's Witnesses (purple) the politicos (red)
ordinary criminals (green) emigrants (blue) and finally
the vagrants, drug addicts, the indolent, and prostitutes (black),
not forgetting the Freemasons (red) who were also imprisoned.

I would like to say that being at the ceremony
made me see clearer the different kinds of people,
and their needs, in the chaos of the city all around me.

But I needed something stronger
than what was in front of me
to see the city that clearly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment