........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Wednesday 3 October 2018

How Blindness Breeds Perversity


This is clipping from the local newspaper 
in the town I grew up from 1962,
the year after I was born.

It says that the council are celebrating
the opening of a public toilet.

I wonder, was there a ribbon
over each entrance
and did the mayor cut it?

And was he the first to use the facilities?

I knew that toilet well, for reasons common to me
and many others-the sense of my sexuality 
being fit only for keeping well out of the family house. 

I find it perverse to imagine the pomp and circumstance
that the council and the local press cooked up between them
being invested in something that was going to embody shame 
and become the stain of self mistrust for many generations of men 
who were going to wave their willies there, 
in the hope of attracting similarly stained/shamed men.

All because nobody wanted them 
as the people they actually were.

But then again this cutting is evidence 
of how much perversity can be blind to itself,
as if blindness itself breeds perversity.... 


No comments:

Post a Comment