........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Sunday 6 December 2020

The Existential Angst Of Following Orders

Every time I see the small notice on the screen
that says 'Tick this box to prove that you are not a robot',
and I see the box beneath, I get tremors of guilt and fear;
if I follow the instruction then how much nearer
does my obedience in attempting to pass the test
take me towards being the robot
that I am trying to prove that I am not?

If I disobey the instruction I surely lose
the chance to disprove how near I might be,
or might not be, to being the robot that I disbelieve I am.

Given that the process I am following
is a done by robot, or a programme,
then how does this programme or robot
know that it is a programme/robot?
If it does then it knowing that makes sure
that it is more than some obedient machine?

The damning self righteous comment
that the allies made about the military
under the control of the axis powers
after World War Two was drawn from
the mouths of the military of the condemned side
'We knew nothing, we were only following orders'.

'Free Will' is a subjective idea
that we approach in fear
of our own contradictions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment