........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Sunday 17 November 2019

My Favourite Insult

used to be 'Every word she says is a lie, including 'and' and 'the''.
For me there are too many people in power to count that I could apply it to.

But it stopped being my favourite insult
when I rediscovered the effect that saying it
had on it's speaker, and the target of it's venom.

Mary McCarthy said it in 1979 on US television
and said it of screenwriter and playwright Lillian Hellman.
Both of them were powerful left wing firebrands
who had sparred with each other since the 1930's.

For Hellman this was a feud taken too far.
She took out a $2.5 million lawsuit on McCarthy,
in which the more the fifty years of Hellman's work
was examined for the evidence it concealed,
the less Hellman was able to write in the present,
until in 1984 she, and the lawsuit, died together.

McCarthy published a little more,
but died five years later,
exhausted by her isolation.

When money kills a person,
it kills them from the inside out.


No comments:

Post a Comment