........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Friday 19 June 2015

The Gift Of Pride

From very early on in life
I learned how good second hand/
hand-me-down clothing could be.
Mother liked my school clothes
to come from thrift shops
rather than have to accept gifts
from condescending relatives,
or other charities where she knew
too much about what the gifts
had gone through to become hers
to get the last use out of them via me.

The best bargains were anonymous.
This is why, even today,
I like to give away what I have
whilst it has further life in it.
There is nothing meaner than a gift
that seems useful when it is given,
but on examination it proves worn
beyond all use to it's recipient
by the pride of its previous owner.

The recipient feels as used as the gift. 

No comments:

Post a Comment