........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Thursday 28 July 2011

Nihilism and Democracy

In the last forty years
I have lived through three recessions
and two minor economic up-turns
where for having less I gained less.

The latest recession is still on-going.

The first downturn felt like it was
the sharpest-because I became
an unemployed adult through it.
I refused to see at the time how
it would make me unemployable,
I have learned that it did just that since.

What I felt at the time was
money and opportunity shrinking
for no apparent reason.

During that first recession some graffiti
appeared on a local railway bridge.
'SLIT YOUR OWN THROAT-VOTE TORY'.

It appeared because we had a Tory MP
and the perception amongst youth
was that the Tories were the party
who enjoyed reinforcing hardship
on those with the least to frighten those
with slightly more to act for the gain of the few. 

Before the next election the word 'TORY'
was erased, and the graffiti stayed that way
for decades, until someone thought to remove it....

The town is still 'no better than it ought to be',
and ninety years from the first Tory vote,
the local MP is still has a Tory.

If there were an apocalypse
he would keep his seat,
and disguise all sign of change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment